What are super foods? We have heard this term on multiple occasions but let us understand how certain food gets the status of super food and what does that really mean?
A common concept which is ingrained in our head with eating healthy is that we have to sacrifice the taste! However, what if we told you that you can eat healthy by loading your diet with super foods as well as not saying goodbye to your taste buds?
To put it simply, super foods are nutritional powerhouses. Super foods are extremely high in micro nutrients like vitamins, minerals, as well as antioxidants, enzymes and health fats. All of these nutrients are essential to your body so you can thrive.Which helps to reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer, improve brain function and help fight memory loss, help you lose weight and provide tons of other health benefits.
So while food trends come and go( yes! We have trends even in the health-food world) you can never go wrong with whole fruits and vegetables, and their friends nuts, seeds and whole grains! Super foods are the superheroes fighting against chronic disease and other nutrient deficiencies.
If you’re not sure where to start, consider these super food categories and subcategories:
- Vegetables : broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, cabbage, radishes
- Leafy green: lettuce (all varieties), spinach
- Non-starchy: mushrooms, asparagus, celery, peppers, tomatoes, zucchini (and so many more!)
- Starchy: potatoes and other root vegetables, winter squashes
- Allium: onion, garlic, shallot
- Citrus Fruits : grapefruit, lemon, lime, orange
- Berries: blueberry, raspberry, strawberry
- Stone: apricot, nectarine, peach, plum
- Melon: cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon
- Tropical: bananas, mangoes
- Beans: kidney, soy
- Lentils: green, yellow, red
- Peas: green, snow, black-eyed, chickpea
- Whole Grains, wheat, oats, rice, corn, barley, millet, quinoa, buckwheat
- Nuts & Seeds : almond, cashew, walnut, pine, pecan, Brazil, chia, flax, hemp, sesame, sunflower, pumpkin
Tevos Pharmaceuticals focuses on developing supplements which can give the health benefits of super foods. Our supplements such as PDF Lacto have Morninga, Shatavari. Moringa, known as “Miracle Tree” , is loaded with vitamins A, B6, calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron and antioxidants that fight cancer-causing free radicals. PDF PRO a Protein Powder with Vitamins , Minerals , DHA and Amino acid. PDFLacto Powder has Moringa, Shatavari and is loaded with Vitamins. We also have flavored PDF smart Powder CHOCOLATE & PDF smart Powder KESAR which are loaded with benefits of Calcium, Vitamins, Proteins.
Now let us get to the most important question – Why are super foods important?
The truth is, the majority of the population don’t eat enough fruit and vegetables. In fact, not eating enough fruit is the #1 dietary risk and it’s the cause of 4.9 million deaths worldwide.
So why not grab an extra banana or eat a salad once or twice a week? That will solve the problem, right?
Super foods have high vitamin and mineral content which can help your body ward off diseases and keep you healthier. And when incorporated into a well-balanced diet, these foods can promote heart health, weight loss, improve energy levels and even reduce the effects of aging. Antioxidants found in many super foods may help prevent cancer, while healthy fats can reduce your risk of heart disease. Fiber, which is also found in many super foods, can help prevent diabetes and digestive problems while phytochemicals have numerous health benefits including reducing your risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. Super foods are also known to protect your organs from toxins, help lower cholesterol, regulate metabolism and reduce inflammation.